Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Workout Wednesday // Legs for Days & My Journey with 30 Days of Yoga

Hi loves! Today was an amazing day. I worked a 10 hour shift at my job and still found the energy to go to the gym and complete my leg day circuit. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do today when I went into the gym, and since it has been awhile since I've lifted I decided to work on my quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Let's just say everything was burning and my body is already sore from the aftermath. I figured go big or go home! And I went big then cried like a little baby going home. My gyms weight room is down stairs two floors...ummm hello what the heck...yea I could barely walk up them steps today. I was holding on to the railing saying "ow, ow, ow", "am I there yet?" 
The days after legs are always the worst though. Trying to sit on the toilet is always a no go for me. I literally ease into the motion and cringe with pain the whole time. But as I always say no pain no gain, so suck it up buttercup!


Okay let's get to it! 


Leg Press 170 lbs
5 sets of 15 reps

*my legs were on fire after set 1* 
The trick to doing any lifting exercise is to focus on controlling the movement rather than pumping the reps out as fast as you can. The slow the movement the more you can use mind to muscle connection. 

Superset
Lying Hamstring Curls 40 lbs
5 sets of 15 reps
Standing Calf Raises (body weight)
5 sets of 15 reps

Again focus on slow movements through the range of motion. Squeeze at the top of the hamstring and slowly lower down, and repeat 14 more times. 



Right before I was about to do some deadlifts trying to pump myself up with my jams! I was sweating so bad. I kept the pace of this entire workout fast only having about a 30-45 second rest time in between each set. This helps keep the heart rate up and will cut down your time in the gym. 

Deadlifts 22 lb Kettlebell
5 sets of 15 reps

*you can do these either straight leg deadlifts or sumo deadlifts* I started with straight leg then moved to sumo to target more my glutes. 

Superset
Donkey Kickbacks on Cable Machine 2nd notch
3 sets of 20 reps
Lateral Raises on Cable Machine 2nd notch
3 sets of 20 reps

Squats

I ended the workout with a shit ton of squats...okay just 100

I broke it down into 5 sets of 20 reps

Plie Squats
4 sets of 10 reps


And that concludes the workout! If you try this routine let me know how you like it! 

Now lifting was not the only workout I did today...so a few days ago I started challenging myself to do yoga for 30 days. I went onto YouTube and found a 30 days of yoga challenge. If you are interested here is the lady who has the channel. Her name is Yoga with Adriene. I am really enjoying it so far. I love coming home taking my shower and then turning out the lights to do my yoga routine for the day. The routines are usually around 30 minutes but they seem to fly by! After I'm down I'm relaxed and ready for bed. I highly suggest this if anyone is interested :) 


As a typical girl I totally took a "selfie" after I was done with the routine tonight. My hair is wet, I have zero makeup on, and I am just extremely happy with life. Can't wait to see how much these 30 days change my body and my self awareness as well. 

Xoxo,
Shelby



No comments: