Saturday, December 5, 2015

Benefits of Green Tea


I love green tea! I love to buy it in the K-cups to throw it in my Keurig and have me a hot glass. It's perfect for those cold winter months! I have drank green tea for a while now, but I always wondered why do health nuts rave over it. Well I did a little research to find out some of the benefits that are in green tea and why we should include it in our daily routines.

Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients. These help with improved brain function, fat loss, and lower your risk of cancers. They are all powerful effects for our bodies and there are many more benefits to green tea as well. 

Here are a few more of the benefits I found most frequently listed in no particular order.

Weight loss. Green tea increases the metabolism. The polyphenol found in green tea works to intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories. 
"All things being equal, if you substitute 1-2 cups of green tea for one can of soda, over the next year you'd save over 50,000 calories," Ochner says. That's more than 15 pounds. Just don't overdue it with honey or sugar!

Skincare. Green tea can apparently also help with wrinkles and the signs of aging. This is because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.

Diabetes. Green tea helps regulate glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating. This can prevent high insulin spikes and resulting fat storage. 

Cholesterol. Green tea reduces the bad cholesterol in the blood and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol. 

Tooth Decay. Studies suggests that the chemical antioxidant "catechin" in tea can destroy bacteria and viruses that cause throat infections, dental caries and other dental conditions.

Relaxing Ritual. Sipping tea helps you slow down and relax. A natural chemical called theanine found in green tea can provide a calming effect. 

This is one of my favorites that I found, because this is true for myself! I find when I drink tea I become calm and I actually enjoy writing my blog posts while sipping on some tea. 

These are just a few I found and of course, no one food will protect you from disease. Green tea alone will not give you all of these benefits. Your health is wrapped up in your lifestyle and your genes. As crazy as that sounds, but we must also take care of ourselves in other ways, like not smoking, living a healthy lifestyle by eating whole foods and, being active.

Hope you enjoyed! Leave a comment below and tell us your favorite brands of green tea to drink! 

xoxo,

Shelby 

No comments: